Bulk Carrier Cambria Colossus Launched
Jan. 07, 2011
Tokyo, January 7, 2011 — Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. today launched the Cambria Colossus bulk carrier for Singapore’s “K” Line Pte Ltd at its Kobe Works. This 197-meter-long vessel (Kawasaki hull No. 1641) is the sixth state-of-the-art bulk carrier with a capacity of 58,000 DWT to be developed by Kawasaki. After it is outfitted at the Kobe Works quay, the carrier will be delivered in March 2011.
Features of the Cambria Colossus
1. The vessel has a flush deck with forecastle and five holds that are designed for optimum transport of grains, coals, ores and steel products. Four 30-ton deck cranes are installed along the center in between hatch covers to enable cargo loading and unloading in ports that lack cargo handling facilities.
2. The vessel is fully compliant with the new bulk carrier hull strength rules (IACS Common Structural Rules) for enhanced safety.
3. The bulk carrier’s anti-corrosion coatings, complying with the new performance standards for ballast tank protective coatings (PSPC), ensure paint quality that is better than ever.
4. The vessel employs double-hull fuel oil tanks to prevent marine pollution.
5. The vessel employs the latest in technology to achieve maximum fuel economy, including an energy-saving main diesel engine, highly efficient propellers, the Kawasaki rudder bulb system with fins (RBS-F), as well as a bow designed to reduce wave resistance, which all contribute to the vessel’s enhanced propulsion performance.